Friday, September 16, 2011

Book Response: Deepest Kiss of Winter

Deep Kiss of Winter (Includes: Immortals After Dark, #8; Alien Huntress, #4.5)Deep Kiss of Winter by Kresley Cole

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


I read this, hoping against hope that I'd find 2 new authors to read. Kresley Cole and Gena Showalter are prodigiously productive, but alas, it was not to be.

(Under cut for spoilery spoilers)



I've read Kresley Cole before and found her world build up too complicated and unnecessarily messy. But hey, it could be a book debut thing. Maybe I'll like her books now. But no.

It doesn't help that her time line and plot flow is weird (probably due to the need to synchronise with events from other her other books). But the real deal breaker is how annoying her female character is. They are like the penultimate Mary Sue; weird name and superpower and all. But 2,000 years old and you still behave like an immature brat who didn't get her way? WTF? If she is in her early 20's and still in the drama queen stage, I get it. But surely two millennia is enough to produce a mature, rational protagonist, with wit and snark and lose the some-day-my-prince-will-come gig?

*sigh*

Gena Showalter created an interesting Man-in-Black kind of 'verse. Unfortunately, her characters leave some to be desired. If you have a hero who has been planning for 2 years to cross wormholes to build a new life on a new planet with his people, would he be distracted to play hide the nookie with the female protagonist? Build some emotional and sexual tension first, for the love of God. And then have the explosive no-holds-barred sex.

Many plot holes and poor carry through crippled my enjoyment of this. But them's the breaks.

*sigh*



View all my reviews

4 comments:

Ri said...

have u tried jane bishop?
i enjoy her books very much but not sure if u would..

Snuze said...

Hmm ... don't think I've seen her at my rental place. What genre does she write?

Ri said...

sorry, i got the forename wrong- it's anne bishop. she's famous for her 'black jewels trilogy'

Snuze said...

I think I've read one book by her. Belladonna. I did not like her style or the universe she created. I find her unnecessarily convoluted and her storyline unsatisfying.

Err ... sorry if you are a fan.

If I want sword and sorcery, I prefer Patricia Briggs Sainim, Dragons Blood duology, Masque etc. Her books are <400 pages but the stories are tightly woven and the characters are engaging and fun to follow.

She also writes the contemporary fantasy Mercy Thompson series and the Alpha & Omega series.