Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Riding like a boss

I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like ...

                                                                                                 - Bicycle Race (Queen)-

Riding the bike is a green transportation strategy. Many cities, particularly in Europe, embraces biking in the cities as a means to reduce pollution and traffic congestion.The Netherlands is popular for both canals and bicycles (with no doubt a number of the latter ending up in the former, thanks to great beers that the Netherlands are also famed for). To encourage more people to opt to cycle, these cities set aside a bicycle lane for cyclists' safety.

But of course, where there are space near the curb (or affectionately known in Malaysia as shoulder of the  road), so shall appear assholes who want to park there. In developing countries, drivers don't even bother with space; double and triple parking is pretty normal. How to overcome this? The mayor of Vilnius, Lithuania decided that a drastic approach is needed.




What I am interested to know is, can we do this here too? The crushing of inconsiderate motorists' vehicles, I mean.

No comments: